COVID-19 Notice: During this time, we are serving our clients remotely. Please click here for more information and don’t hesitate to call us if you have any questions.

Learn About Parental Alienation

Family Lawyers in Ontario

If you are an access parent and you begin to notice a permanent change in the behavior of your child, it may be due to parental alienation. Our Ontario family lawyers are here to help if your relationship with your child is in jeopardy. We can advise you of your rights and options in this important matter.

Warning signs of parental alienation may include:

  • The child’s withdrawal from the relationship;
  • Complete isolation whereby he or she stops wanting to attend access visits; and
  • You notice that he or she consistently sides with and supports the custodial parent.

Call our offices at (905) 581-7222 or continue reading to learn more about parental alienation.

Parental Alienation Defined

Parental alienation usually occurs because the custodial parent has been brainwashing or indoctrinating the child so as to eventually eliminate the access parent from his or her life. The motivation behind the custodial parent’s actions can vary, it can be for vengeance or financial gain. Justice Perkins, in the case of S. (C.) v. S. (M.) 2010 ONSC 340, provides a useful definition of parental alienation at paragraph 92 of his judgment:

“Children who are subject to the parental alienation syndrome (I will call them PAS children) are very powerful in their views of the non-alienating parent. The views are almost exclusively negative, to the point that the parent is demonized and seen as evil. [...] PAS children feel empowered and are rewarded for attacking the other parents and feel no remorse or shame for doing so. [...] PAS children have a knee jerk, reflexive response to support the alienator against the targeted parent, often on the basis of minimal evidence or justification. PAS children broaden their attacks to encompass members of the other parent’s extended family. [...] PAS children are recruited by the alienating parent and alienated siblings to the alienating parent’s cause. [...] With PAS children, you cannot be sure who you are listening to – is it the child, is it the alienating parent, or is it Court Watch [an advocacy group supporting the father]?”

Therefore, and based on this definition, if a parent continues to see or have access to the child on a regular basis, he or she will not be considered to be “alienated.” A child being disrespectful towards a parent, or an increase in arguments between parent and child is not “parental alienation.”

Reversing the Damage Caused by Parental Alienation

Once a child is diagnosed, he or she is said to suffer from parental alienation syndrome and the consequences flowing from such a diagnosis are that the parental-child relationship is deeply lost or altered. Therefore, it is absolutely necessary that if you feel alienated you must intervene and attempt to reverse the damage that has occurred.

There are numerous recourses available to you if you have been alienated:

  • You may seek a court-ordered resolution (i.e. increased access or maybe even custody). Please note that this is expensive and requires a lot of evidence from objective third parties who can testify as to the nature of the relationship you shared with the child pre-alienation.
  • You and your child may also seek counseling in the form of reunification therapy with a professional who is familiar with parental alienation.
  • Another alternative is to unilaterally attempt to reverse the effects of alienation by maintaining consistent contact with your child (this is of utmost importance and should always be done when there is evidence of or suspicion of parental alienation). During this time you should try to engage in fun and conflict-free activities, avoid acting aggressively or attacking your child for his or her behavior, refrain from “bad-mouthing” the other parent, etc.

The Family Bridges Program

In the most extreme of cases, where the alienation is so severe that choosing one of these three options would be useless, the courts can order that your child participate in the Family Bridges program created by Dr. Richard Warshark or the Families Moving Forward program, a local organization that does the same type of work.

Under these programs, the alienated parent and child are sent to a hotel or a resort for four days of intensive therapy (64 hours of treatment) with two mental health professionals. During this time the child is able to spend time with the alienated parent, hopefully reconnect, and is taught to have a compassionate view of both parents as all parents make mistakes. The child is also taught the importance and benefit of having two parents present in his or her life at all times. This process, however, can be very expensive and in some cases, may cost approximately $20,000 (USD).

For more information and guidance that relates to your specific situation, call our Ontario family lawyers at (905) 581-7222.

Parental Alienation
Visit Our
Help Centre
Get Help Now

Our Lawyers

Our Clients Love Us

  • Feldstein Family Law Group P.C. Andrew guided me through this process with dedication, commitment and great knowledge!

    - Anonymous

  • Feldstein Family Law Group P.C. I will be sure to recommend you now and in the future to anyone in need!

    - Anonymous

  • Feldstein Family Law Group P.C. You are very intelligent, witty and always think outside the box.

    - Anonymous

  • Feldstein Family Law Group P.C. I cannot thank you enough for your solid professional advice and help!

    - Anonymous

  • Feldstein Family Law Group P.C. We can finally put everything behind us and go forward with our lives!

    - Anonymous

  • Feldstein Family Law Group P.C. I was well treated by everyone at the office.

    - Anonymous