R. Kelly Avoids Jail by Paying Back Child Support to Ex-Wife
On May 8, 2019, R. Kelly avoided another visit to jail by paying all of the retroactive child support he owed to his ex-wife, Drea Kelly. The singer appeared in Cook County court and paid over $62k. He currently is supposed to pay just over $20k per month and the late payment covered March, April, and May.
In Ontario, child support payments can be enforced through a government agency called the Family Responsibility Office (FRO). FRO garnishes the payor’s wages, keeps a record of the amounts paid, and pays the amount to the recipient.
FRO can also employ the following enforcement actions:
- Garnish money the payor may receive from the Government of Canada, such as income tax refunds, employment insurance benefits, Canada Pension Plan benefits, and Old Age Security benefits
- Garnish the payor’s bank accounts
- Suspend the payor’s driver’s license
- Place a lien on the payor’s personal property
- Enforce up to 180 days of jail time
Finally, FRO can help collect money from a payor parent who lives in Canada, every state in the United States, and approximately 30 other countries which share an agreement with Ontario.
Seeking Dedicated Representation? Contact Our Divorce Attorneys Today
At Feldstein Family Law Group P.C., we are proud to serve families throughout Ontario and help find realistic solutions for even the most impossible situations. With us on your side, rest assured you are aligning yourself with an unmatched legal team. Allow us to advocate on your behalf.
For more information regarding FRO and to speak with an experienced family lawyer you can trust, contact us by calling (905) 581-7222.