If you proceed with a family law matter without the support of a lawyer, you will be responsible for ensuring that all documents are filed, answered, and served within the requisite period of time.
While not an exhaustive list, some important deadlines are listed below:
- Responding to an Application: 30 days within Canada or the United States, 60 days outside of these jurisdictions.
- Notice of a Motion to Change: to be served not later than 4 days before the motion date.
- Responding to a Motion to Change: 30 days.
- Responding to an Answer: 10 days.
- Attending the Mandatory Information Program: not later than 45 days after the case is issued by the court.
- Net family property statement: not more than 30 days and not less than 7 days before a trial.
- Filing a brief before a case conference: not less than 7 days.
- Affidavit listing documents: within 10 days of another party’s request.
Missing an important deadline may have a negative impact on your divorce. Be sure to learn what deadlines relate to different proceedings, motions, and documents, and observe these to the letter. Our Ontario divorce lawyers at Feldstein Family Law Group P.C. can provide further guidance and can also handle every aspect of your case so you don’t have to.
To learn more about our legal services, call (905) 581-7222. We offer free initial in-office consultations.