This question has multiple answers and depends primarily on whether or not you decide to retain to counsel (at which point your fees will increase) as well as whether or not the divorce is contested or uncontested (a contested divorce will also result in an increase in fees).
The following is a fee breakdown for a simple and uncontested divorce, not including lawyer’s fees (as of August 2010):
- The fee for issuing an application is $157.00.
- A $10.00 search registry fee.
- A $64.20 fee for service (by a process server).
- The fee for a motion for judgment is $280.00.
- A $53.50 fee is charged by the court clerk for filing attendances and HST
- A certificate of divorce will cost approximately $19.00. (You should be aware that this final fee may be waived because it is not necessary that you obtain a certificate after an order has been made. If you eventually plan on re-marrying then you will need to pay the fee and obtain a certificate as it will provide conclusive proof of the validity of your divorce.)
The total of all the above fees, for a divorce in the Province of Ontario, is $583.70 (not including lawyers’ fees).