You will be articling at a 9 lawyer (and growing) law firm that deals with Family Law. The lawyers all attend various courts (including, but not limited to, Milton, Brampton, 393 University, 47 Sheppard, Barrie, Orangeville, Peterborough, Whitby and Oshawa) with much work done in Newmarket. Given the size of our firm and the fact that we do quite a bit of work at the court in Newmarket, you get to learn who the other lawyers are in York Region, as well as the judges and court staff. The legal community in York Region is quite established.
As an articling student you will be provided with experiences such as:
- preparing materials for court (Applications, Answers, Replies, Notices of Motion, Affidavits, Factums, Case, Settlement and Trial Management Conference Briefs, Financial Statements, Requests to Admit, just to name a few);
- drafting correspondence to other lawyers and clients;
- assisting in managing court files with another lawyer;
- participating in continuing legal education seminars and lawyer lunches;
- legal research;
- attending client meetings (i.e. to obtain client instructions, to review and sign documents);
- sitting in on initial consultations; and
- preparing a file for court and assisting the responsible lawyer at court for appearances such as Motions, Case, Settlement or Trial Management Conferences.
We encourage new members of the firm to become involved in the daily management of the firm through lawyer lunches and staff meetings. Our open door policy encourages new members of the firm to approach the lawyers and staff with any questions they may have and someone will be available to point you in the right direction.
The firm also offers a comprehensive library and internet resources to allow a lawyer to do any legal research they require on a file. The office is very technologically forward and wired with all that you need to help you in a family law matter (PCLaw, Divorcemate, Worldox, Carswell/Westlaw, Acrobat, Word, etc.). Continuing education also plays an important part in a family law lawyer’s day to day practice. The firm encourages its staff and lawyers to stay on top of the latest cases and changes in legislation in family law through lawyer lunches and various CLE programs offered through the OBA and LSUC.
You will be provided with hands-on experience that will assist you in your career as a lawyer.